Kvitova intend to play again after knife attack

Two times Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova  said she will do everything she can to return to tennis court after suffering a hand injury in a knife attack that will keep her out of the sport since least six months.

Kvitova was wounded on Tuesday when she fought off an intruder at her home in the Czech Republic, damaging all the fingers on her left playing hand.

The world no 11 told the media directly for the first time after an operation to repair the tendons in her hand and was determined to get back to playing.

 “I have no choice but to look ahead, and not back, to see how everything will develop,”

“It does’t matter to me how long it will take to start my play, may be it take three months, six months or a year. But certainly I want to return one day and I will do everything possible to do so.”

She said she had been able to move her fingers in a session with doctors on Thursday, which she called “the greatest Christmas present”.

She had been a virtual fixture in the top 10 before slipping somewhat this season. However, she showed improved form in recent months, winning the Wuhan Open title in October and the season-ending WTA Elite trophy in November.

Czech Republic’s tennis player Petra Kvitova speaks during a news conference, after she was injured on Tuesday when she fought off an intruder in her home, damaging all the fingers on her playing hand, in Prague, Czech Republic December 23, 2016. REUTERS/David W Cerny